- State of Connecticut Department of Public Health Website
- Download Form
- We are open and you may come in to pick up a Birth Certificate. Please wear a mask.
Copies of birth certificates are on file in the Town Clerk's office in the town of occurrence, in the Town Clerk's office in the town of residence of the mother at time of birth, and the State of Connecticut Department of Vital Statistics in Hartford. You may obtain a certified copy from any of these sources.
The fee is $20.00 per copy. All requests for birth certificates must be made in writing.
If you are requesting a birth certificate by mail, please include the following:
- Full name and date of birth of individual named on the certificate
- Parents' full names when birth occurred (including mother's maiden name)
- Proof of identification (copy of your current driver's license or any other state issued photo ID)
If photo ID is not available, copies of two of the following may be used:
Social Security card, written verification of identity from employer (on letter head), automobile registration, copy of utility bill showing name and address, pay stub with name and address on it, checking account deposit slip stating name and address. Please see attachment to Form which list additional proofs of identity, or click on the link above directly to the Department of Public Health for information regarding identification requirements.
- Grandparents - You must provide a copy of your child's birth certificate in order to obtain your grandchild's birth certificate. (All out of State Birth Certificates shall be certified copies.)
- Spouses - Please provide a certified copy of your Marriage License along with your drivers license.
- Please be sure to include address where the certificate is to be sent and all requests must be signed.
Colorado, Oklahoma& Mississippi do not like to accept certified copies of birth records from town of birth residence - please direct them to this link and advise them that certified copies are also issued from the towns. However, you may still need to order your certificate directly from the state.
New: You can now order your birth certificate via email
All requirements are stated above for obtaining a birth certificate.
If you cannot come in or need your birth certificate in a hurry please read instructions below:
- Print the request form and complete. You will need to sign the form.
- Photocopy your current state issued photo identification (must not be expired past 1 year) *for other types of identification please see list with request form
- Pay using credit card - click here -( please copy the code on line 4 prior to opening)
- Use code a0031o - A, zero, zero, three, one, O as in open.
- Print out the paid receipt.
Email the request form, copy of drivers license and credit card receipt here
Requests will be processed within 24 to 48 hours. If you wish to have it expedited please also include a FedEx prepaid label.